Friday, October 12, 2007

Good Moos?


Some of you know that our little Corbin can be quite a handful. As we looked into the options we have to help us, help him...we started to suspect that food sensitivities may be affecting his behavior. Our regular pediatrician was really not much help, so we took him "out of network" to a Doctor that has helped some families we know diagnose this type of problem. She discovered that he is affected by all dairy products including eggs. Changing his diet has been a little harder than I thought it would be, I even had a hard time finding things he can eat at Trader Joe's. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. We have a second visit this coming week. There is a chance that now dairy is out of his system that she will be able to detect another "allergy". We just cross our fingers that there will be something left that is safe for him to eat.

We have noticed a change in him. He is a lot more affectionate and seems to talk more. He is less aggressive and more cooperative, even the times we send him to time out he goes without a fight. That is just amazing to us. Sunday will be the biggest test. He hates going to nursery and isn't nice to the other children. So if things go better there we will really think we have found our miracle.

So if anyone comes across a good recipe that is dairy free we would love you to share it with us. One of Corbin's favorite things to do is help make cookies. I need to figure out how to do that with out eggs or butter (chocolate chips are out too, Derek is having a hard time that one (smile)).

5 comments:

Katie said...

Shannon - that is awesome! I hope you see the changes you are looking for! Doesn't Derek love chocolate chips? I thought I remember you saying that once. Poor guy :) In my family, my sister Kelly often makes a batch with the chips and a batch with, just an idea!

Katie said...

I meant a batch with and a batch without.

Erin said...

what about no bake cookies?

The Plewe Clan said...

SO interesting...I have a friend who took her son to a "DR. I think" and she said that alot of his anger issues, etc. stemmed from food allergies. It was interesting to listen to her describe what the lady told them.

Heidi said...

WOW what a challenge but you are definitely the person that can handle it! you are amazing!