Corbin is starting his 2nd week of pre-school and I still want to cry about it. I thought today I would be fine. He woke up and remembered that it was a school day. I had been a little worried that after the long weekend he wouldn't want to go back. So the morning started out fine, he got dressed and brushed his teeth. We got in the car...things are still great...we listened to Christmas music...he sipped on his breakfast drink... Then as we turned onto the street that takes us up to the school I got a familiar lump in my throat. I took a deep breath and it went away. As his teacher came to the car to get him he was fine, but as soon as she took his hand and walked away with him the tears came again. Not his, but mine. I cried down that hill wondering how all you moms who have done this before me felt. This is normal right? Even though we have some rough days around here, I miss him.
Monday, November 26, 2007
The Pre-School Blues
Corbin is starting his 2nd week of pre-school and I still want to cry about it. I thought today I would be fine. He woke up and remembered that it was a school day. I had been a little worried that after the long weekend he wouldn't want to go back. So the morning started out fine, he got dressed and brushed his teeth. We got in the car...things are still great...we listened to Christmas music...he sipped on his breakfast drink... Then as we turned onto the street that takes us up to the school I got a familiar lump in my throat. I took a deep breath and it went away. As his teacher came to the car to get him he was fine, but as soon as she took his hand and walked away with him the tears came again. Not his, but mine. I cried down that hill wondering how all you moms who have done this before me felt. This is normal right? Even though we have some rough days around here, I miss him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
I just got tears in my eyes. I have yet to have a child who did not love to go to school,so that leaves me feeling sad that they might not love me as much as they love school! Just know that they are able to teach and help him in ways you may not have. Chin up, it will get better!
Shannon you are a great mom. I am not a mom but every mom i talk to has had the pre school blues. HAng in there. It will get easier. I love his turkey it is very cute!
It's normal-totally normal! It'll get easier though, I promise. I dealt with all the "blubbering mom's" on the first day of school each year as a kinder teacher! :) Trust me, you'll cry all year long at all his 'firsts', his first Christmas performance, his first home-made Mothers Day gift, his first school picture day (to which, you will say, "Why didn't they put his collar down?") Before you know it, the year will be over, summer will come, and you won't be able to wait till school starts again! (And as you know, most moms stop crying by fourth grade-hee hee!)
I am a self-confessed blubbering mom-but mine started with Sunbeams! That is why I have the motto, "Cherish the moment!"
Sorry, I'm sure you weren't looking for a therapy session here...maybe I was giving myself one! :)
Corbin is so cute-I love his big brown eyes! Make sure you keep all his crafts! Adorable!
I don't cry so much anymore, but I still find myself hanging around the door at the preschool a little too long. When I read all Willow's kinder stuff before school started I laughed because they made such a big deal of parents not staying and not hanging around by the gate. I thought what's wrong with them? Then school came and I waited all through first recess at the gate and watched as they walked in their lines into the classroom. You want them to love it, but that doesn't make it any easier I know. Next year I will be sending Willow to 2nd grade and both Poppy and Phoenix to preschool. I will probably be a blithering mess for the whole two hours they are gone.
PS Duncan Hines calls it "Better Than Anything Cake". I guess that's not so dicey but I love the shock value of saying the word sex. So junior high I know, I just couldn't help it.
Shannon...your little guy is growing up! I cried taking Caden to school this year and that was first grade...I think it might be a first child thing! It will get easier at some point!!! Good Luck
There is a part of me that must be made of stone....this was never so hard for me. It just amazes me how they grow. I have a feeling though that the blubbering will come with my last child. Don't get me wrong...I cry A LOT, just not neccessarily over leaving Ethan at school. I'm realizing right now how weird that is for me?? But then again, Ethan didn't start preschool until he was almost 4. Maybe that helped???
I did a lot better today. Thanks for all your helpful words. I have good friends!
Oh! Corbin came home on the bus for the first time yesterday. He loves it. All night he was pretending he was on the bus saying "sit in your seat!" then pretending to buckle a seat belt. Today they put him in a car seat. I think the ride home was easier on the bus driver (smile).
I'm so not looking forward for that day. I know I will be such a mess! But I will say a few hours with one less child doesn't sound too bad either.
Uh, yeah...I am one of those crazy moms that says goodbye for 5 minutes or more, hanging around the door just lingering...oh just one more kiss. Of course Annaliese is just fine. Me, lets just say I'm fine as long as I don't think about it. When I finally do get out the door I have to start thinking about all I am going to do while she is at school. Productivity! That perks me up! But the other night in bed I got to thinking about her and I started crying! My excuse- over tired, a little PMS maybe...but the bottom line is it's kind of hard to watch my baby grow up.
On a happier note, Annaliese loves school and her teacher! That helps a lot! I think its great that Corbin can go! I hope he continues to love it! Maybe knowing that will make it easier with more time! Erin told me all about his first bus ride home! Cute story! =) Hang in there mama! (You are doing great things!) Anxious to see you soon! Much love-xoxo
I am glad he is liking school! Is it nice to have some time with just Cooper despite missing Corbin?
It is nice to have time with just Cooper. Because Corbin takes so much or our energy Cooper definatly needs time here with just me. I know pre school is probably what we all need. And dropping Corbin off has been a little easier every day. So things are looking up.
Good!
So our Christmas cards will be sent out the first week of Dec...I am just waiting to pick up the picture portion at JC Penney. Our new address will be in there for you. Can't wait to get everyones cards in my mailbox-its one of my favorite parts of the season!
As for bread, we have a really good store here called Good Earth and they make really yummy rice bread, (sweet and textured like corn bread) but I think it has eggs in it. You are lucky to have Trader Joes and Mothers-both great health food stores that we don't have here! As for sugar, Lauren can't have artificial sweeteners or coloring either. Honey is a good natural sweetener. Or look into stevia-it's a natural sugar substitute too. Here is what Lauren's typical days' menu would be...
BREAKFAST: bowl of cheerios/kix/corn flakes/rice krispies with lactose free milk or scrambled eggs with lactose free cheese and piece of rice toast, or a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with honey and banana.
LUNCH: chicken or turkey breast, cucumber slices dipped in ranch, and rice cakes or almond butter and honey sandwich on rice bread, celery with cream cheese and homemade fruit sauce (apple/pear/peach)-yum!
DINNER: Veggie Stir Fry or Spaghetti squash with homemade marinara sauce.
SNACKS: goat yogurt with some fruit mixed in (of course with pro-biotics mixed in), rice crackers, any veggetable, corn tortilla chips
SWEETS: all natural fruit leather, soy ice cream sandwiches, homemade cakes/cookies from a low carb (no flour or sugar) cookbook I have.
I know their food sensitivies aren't exactly the same, but I hope that helps answer your question! Either way, you'll be doing a lot of homemade cooking and baking!
FYI...my email address will be in the Christmas card too so I don't have to write long novels on your blog! :)
It happens every day with every child. Maybe not tears, but the worry and the missing them. I have to take a deep every day after dropping my kids off. Corbins in good hands though, I hear. I love the turkey hand craft. Maggie brought home her first craft and it was the same thing. Love it!!
Yes you will always feel that way even when they get married and go away live with their wives. They will always be your babies. But it does get easier. It will be hard to send them on missions even thought you know they will come home in 2 years.
It's always hard to let your kids go a little. I remember when Anna started preschool, It was hard. And then kindergarten just KILLED me. But, I got to be honest. I am looking forward to next year when both Anna and Ellie are at school!!
Post a Comment