Monday, December 17, 2007

Breakfast Anyone?

I need your help! Our little family tradition is to have homemade coffee cake and hot cocoa on Christmas morning. Because of Corbin's new diet it's out and I can't think of anything yummy for Christmas morning that doesn't include a milk product or eggs. If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it. We need a new Christmas Breakfast and I don't have a single idea. Well, we could have oatmeal but where's the fun in that?

8 comments:

Heather said...

I guess you could break out the steak and lobster...I'm so sorry every recipe I have has some type of dairy or eggs. Good luck, have a candy cane!

I do have a recipe for pumpkin pie oatmeal that is delish. Let me know if you don't get any other ideas.

Christi said...

Hey I was looking on the internet and found this hopefully it helps!

This easy vegan French toast recipe uses bananas instead of eggs, giving it a sweet flavor.


INGREDIENTS:
2-3 ripe bananas
3/4 cup soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
bread, any kind is fine
butter or margarine

PREPARATION:
Blend bananas, soy milk, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in blender or food processor and pour mixture into pie plate or wide dish. Gently dip bread slices into the mix, coating both sides. Fry in butter or margarine in medium-hot skillet until golden brown

Heather said...

Hey I just remembered that I have a great crock pot breakfast. Do you use egg substitutes? If so, it is easy and you put it together the night before! I will post it on my blog later today with some of my other Christmas morning favorites.

Shannon said...

Those are both good ideas. Thanks you too. I'm still open to suggestions.

Erin said...

what about Henry's? Do they have pancake mix dairy free? Can you guys do bacon? sausage?

Shelby said...

No need to change your tradition! Just adapt the recipe you currently have! Use rice, almond, or soymilk as an equal substitute for the milk. For each egg, use one of the following...

2 Tablespoons of applesauce or baby apricots (this helps with the binding process) or

1 teaspoon of yeast dissolved in warm water (this is best when the eggs purpose is for leavening) or

1 Tablespoon water, 1 1/2 Tablespoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

Hope this helps!

The Snow Queen said...

My kids love hashbrowns. They're easy and fast. You could cut up some bacon, sausage, or ham and throw that in there for added flavor. I bake a few potatoes the night before and put them in the refrig overnight (helps with the starch) then chop or grate them. Add a little butter flavored oil and seasoned salt and sautee in your frying pan. (Sometimes I add garlic powder or onion powder to taste too.) To fancy it up for your hunny bun Derek you could add bell pepper, onion, tomatoes chorizo etc. Who needs eggs! Loves for the Holidays.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the help everyone...I feel inspired now.