Monday, January 14, 2008

Bottles of Joy



I was having one of those days when I felt like I just wasn't getting anything done. The beds were only half way made and the bathrooms were only half way clean and the toys in the family room were just pushed into one corner. I was in the kitchen cleaning dishes for at least the second time that day and going over in my head the list of things I would rather be doing when I emptied the basket of bottle pieces out of the dishwasher and onto the rack to dry when quiet joy came over me. Suddenly they were the cutest things ever to me. The colors made be smile, even their shape and the way they landed on each other made me happy. I started to feel lucky. Lucky that I was a mom. That a had a baby that I got to wash bottles for. And even though the list of chores seemed never ending that day... I had read books with Corbin and played with squirt guns in the back yard. I had bathed Cooper and held him before he fell asleep. It was a good day and for some reason it took plastic bottles to help me see it.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Funny how the list in your head can take over and create the mood -you do forget how lucky we moms are! Thanks for the reminder!

Katie said...

You are so positive Shannon, I admire that about you. I see that some of those bottle parts are your "colors". I have these pants for Quinn that are red, baby blue, navy blue and green. All day long they reminded me of you. I hope you are doing well.

Alison said...

I've had many a days where I've felt frustrated at what I've accomplished....Thanks for the little reminder to keep a proper perspective! Sweet little cuties!

Shelby said...

How sweet, Shannon! What a great reminder for all of us!

(And I am starting to think I agree with you about the Avent bottles-four yrs ago you told me baby bottles should be cuter!-...and although they DO the "job" they are not nearly as cute as your color coordinated bottles! Maybe for the next baby I'll splurge on some cute new bottles to help remind me what a JOY it can be to be "mom")

Heather said...

Great reminder to be grateful!

Erin said...

how great. I love it and love the bottles too. Im glad you have two adorable kiddys too. I kinda like em.

The Biggs Family said...

The other day I had the same feelings. I love it when I realize how good I have it. Good for you!

Heidi said...

That was so good for me to read... I should be a little more grateful for having a little baby boy that i get to take care of, and love, and he loves me in return! Thanks for the GREAT reminder!

The Bains said...

Hey Shannon! I also found your blog last week through Heather's. I've been meaning to email you or comment to you and then there you were on my spot first! I feel bad because I have been meaning to shoot you an email for a long time. I've noticed your email on some emails I get from Lori. I can remember Corbin's baby shower and now he is so big. This blog world is new to me but so very fun. But, I have to get over feeling like I am spying when I find someone's blog (like I found yours) but I wasn't invited formally. I am glad that I'll be able to keep in touch with everyone and gather perspective from all of the stay at home moms. We do run the world don't we? Well, I know this comment is long but one more thing...my little sister Erin's (Erin and Paul Chase on my list of blogs) daughter is allergic to everything and they just recently cut out absolutely everything and are doing a bare bones, Trader Joe's etc. diet and she has improved so much. Especially her behavior. Her blogspot is lawteda.blogspot.com. You both should really have a conversation and compare info. I'll email you her phone number in a separate email since I don't think I should put phone numbers in comment sections? I'm trying to get used to all of this! Okay, sorry for the long message and it was great to hear from you. Isn't is great having 2 boys?

Later,

Amber Bain

Liz said...

Love this post! It is so sweet. And yes, when things get overwhelming at times, it is so important to remember to be grateful for the little things. Thanks for reminding me!!

The Texas Links said...

Thanks Shannon--I needed that. Too often, especially lately, I've looked at my kids and our daily havoc and thought 'what am I doing'. Bottles of joy--I need to look a little harder for those chances to see the joy in my everyday chaos. Great blog! I ALWAYS, after reading a blog of yours, wish that I had thought of that...........