Thursday, January 31, 2008

Deceptively Delicious

You have probably all heard about this cookbook. I have had it since Christmas and I love it. First of all it's darling. Each page is cute and there are lots of yummy pictures. Every recipe calls for a vegetable puree of some sort. I do feel like a better mom knowing we are all getting a little extra nutrition. Tonight I made tacos with sweet potato puree hidden in the meat. The whole dinner Corbin kept saying "Delicious" and "This is good" and "Yummy". I'm not kidding after every bite he had a compliment. I'm pretty sure that this posting will be Derek's first clue about what I've been doing. He has no idea that the muffins I've been making have butternut squash in them or that the mashed potatoes have cauliflower. I have tried quite a few of her recipes and they have all been hits. I also like it that she uses a minimal amount of sugar which is great for Corbin and even with his strict diet I can modify most of the recipes to fit him. Usually I look through the book and pick out a few ideas that have the same purees in them so I don't have to do too much extra work. The pureeing takes very little time at all. I know it's not going to solve all our veggie eating dilemmas at the dinner table. But I know that even if Corbin won't eat the peas on his plate at least he had spinach in his breakfast bar or sweet potatoes in his chicken nuggets which makes me feel like I'm a least trying to do my job as a mom. Tomorrow we are going to make Lemon cupcakes (with yellow squash) and Raspberry filling (with beet puree). So Hooray for Deceptively Delicious!

13 comments:

Katie said...

I've been eyeing this book every time we go to Costco. I think I am going to purchase it now, we need to get some more veggies in our diet! Thanks for the tip!

Erin said...

i have heard of thos book on Opera I think. Very cool. that is awesome derek has no clue. If romney knew half of the stuff that goes into meal he wouldn't eat it. So somethings are better he didnt know.

Heather said...

My neighbor has it and loves it too. I might have to check it out!

The Snow Queen said...

I tdoes your heart good to hear that your kids like something you put in front of them. Sometimes when a recipie calls for a veggie puree I use canned baby food. Especially with the sweet potatoes they're so easy and you can buy no sugar added and organic now a days. My kids love the Laurie Berkner Band I even find myself listening to the CD in the car when I have no kids with me. (That's a really rare occasion.)If somebody would have told me while I was looking at sculpted masterpieces and million dollar art in the Louve. That in a few short years I would be listening to songs about bottle caps and moons, I would have laughed. Now I just laugh when I meet someone that is where I once was and think, "If you only knew".

Mike and Shelby said...

I have so been meaning to post about this book too! I got it for Christmas from my mom. Now, Lauren has always been a really good eater and I've never had to force her to eat anything (except mashed potatoes), but Brooke has been a totally different story! She is very picky-especially about textures. (Although she did eat her whole salmon patty that we had for dinner tonight! I was shoked!) So I will be getting good use out of it. Another good book that uses the same idea is The Sneaky Chef. (The purees are actually a combination of a bunch of things-she has some sample recipes on her website.)

Have you made the spinach brownies yet? I am a little scared to try that one.

Shannon said...

The one that makes me nervous is the chololate pudding with avacado puree. I havn't made the brownies, but the lemon raspberry cupcakes turned out great!

Mike and Shelby said...

Yum, please keep posting about the recipes you've tried. The lemon raspberry cupcakes sounded good...although I'd have to adapt them to be wheat free too-may change the result a bit.

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived closer so we could come over for dinner and dessert!!!

Alison said...

I ALMOST picked this book up last week when I saw it at Costco! Maybe I should have! It really is cute and has some great ideas....I decided to wait on it just because my kids are so stinkin picky when it comes to eating ANYTHING not just veggies, but you never know...maybe I'll find their "new" favorite if I can get them to try. That is funny that Derek had no idea! Deceptive! =)

Heather said...

Tag Shannon your it! check my blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad I read this. My kids are pretty good eaters, so we don't have to do too much trickery, but it looked like a good idea, and yummy. Until I read my friends blog and she HATED every recipe, other than the mashed potatoes. I'd crossed it off my mental list, but now I will have to try for myself. Thanks!

Rebecca said...

I think I'll have to try it too! My kids definitely need more veggies!!

Katie said...

Bought this today, cannot wait to try the tacos!