Sunday, January 20, 2008

Service+Kids=Chaos

So this is what ALL of my towels look like when they are soaking wet and relaxing in the tub.
Let me rewind.



The girl I visit teach just had a baby. I was asked to organize dinners for her and her husband this week. Sounds simple enough right. Well, now that church has moved to the afternoon, Corbin doesn't get a nap. When he is sleepy he starts getting into things that aren't in his usual preschooler trouble making repertoire . He keeps us on our toes. Tonight I was alone, Derek had to work, but the evening was moving along smoothly. That is UNTIL I picked up the phone. So, normal kids see this as a universal signal to run amuck... right? Well add a sleepy Corbin to the mix and here is what happened in a matter of less than 30 min. and 3 phone calls (and each one was only a couple minutes).




First he decided to try to cut Coopers hair. How he got the scissors that we keep up high in a matter of seconds baffles me. So I hung up got the scissors away from him, calmed Cooper down and called the same person back.





One dinner down, next phone call, he finds a green marker and starts to write on the kitchen cupboards. I chase him down and schedule another meal...this time all in one call. It's getting late I need to make at least one more call so I decide to put Corbin in the bath (his favorite pass time). He should be content for a while. I get him settled in, schedule another dinner delivery and realize that the water is running in the tub. I head down the hall to turn it off and the carpet out side the bathroom door is not the right color Uh Oh! There must have been at least 2 inches of water on the bathroom floor and the tub was just running over. Corbin thinks it's the best thing ever.....I don't think he'll do that again however. So Corbin is in time out, I'm running around gathering towels to soak up our new indoor pool and Cooper is crying (but if he's crying he's not choking right...so he'll be fine). I let Corbin out of his room and went to get a fan to blow on the carpet and hurray the chaos it over.



When I realized that Cooper wasn't crying anymore, I went to check on him. This is what I found. Sleeping Cooper on the floor by the dining room table. He made it halfway to me before conking out I guess.




It took long enough to clean up the watery mess that by the time I was done, I wasn't so mad. Good thing too because Corbin was keeping busy playing with my "Plan of Salvation" props from my Sharing Time lesson today. Very cute, he was even doing and saying some of the things I did in primary today. That helped me get back in a good mood, too bad Derek won't have any dry towels when he comes home tonight.

18 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my, Shannon! What an evening. Maybe I will be a little more grateful for a newborn - he can't really do too much damage right now. Corbin looks so big!

Autumn said...

So someone asked if I was employed and my first responds was no, then I quickly came back with oh wait yes I am I'm a mother. She got a smile on her face and said oh yes the most improtant job ever. I agree. What a day you had on your job!! And the boys think they had a hard day:)

Rebecca said...

now there's a small set back to that "getting things done" agenda. Oh well. Today is just another Monday so SMILE and start over! If nothing else, the crazy chaos gave you something fun to write about and a memory to laugh at later!

Shelby said...

Always remember...BOTTLES OF JOY...BOTTLES OF JOY...BOTTLES OF JOY...

The Snow Queen said...

Cooper looks so cute with one dark church sock still on, sleeping where he passed out. I like lots of water in my tub too. I'm sure that bath was a blast until mom stepped on the squishy carpet and saw the water seep between her toes!

Shannon said...

Shelby - that what I keep telling myself too.

Melissa - thanks for noticing the dark sock... it's about my favorite part of that little scene.

sarahhicken said...

Oh my gosh!! Love the energy that kids have and now I wonder why I don't have the same energy since I need it to keep up with all they do.

Mike and Shelby said...

Change of address...

http://mike-shelby.blogspot.com/

See you there!

Laura said...

I found you on Shelby's blog. I took a minute to read through your posts and really enjoyed them. I especially loved bottles of joy. To often I get totally weighed down with the drudgery of motherhood and forget how sweet and fleeting it really is. Thanks for the reminder. Love your blog.

Laura

Laura said...

Oh and I have a similar flood story on my blog back in Oct/Nov. Not as funny when its not you! What a little rascal.

Heidi said...

WOW! what an eventful day! But you definitely have a great memory to look back at and laugh one day! You are an amazing mother!

Heather said...

Your a good mom cause I would have gone through the roof....but then again my patience has been lacking lately!

The Plewe Clan said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I can totally relate to your crazy night. I love the picture of Cooper asleep on the floor...so cute. He reminds me of Clayton. I hope you are still alive and got all the towels cleaned and dry!

Summer said...

Sounds like a very eventful evening! I have learned that if my boys are bored for even a minute my house gets turned upside down!!

Erin said...

nutuh! That is fantastic...not really I know. But im not a mother so i find those things funny but maybe in a couple of years it wont be so "fantastic". Well you sure had quite the day. Cant a girl do some service around here? huh?

The Texas Links said...

Patience, Mommy, Patience.....
Love you!

Alison said...

Everytime I check in on your blog and see that first picture I just have to laugh! So sorry for your crazy day! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, your kids would fit very nicely in our crazy little family! Fun stuff! I love coming into the bathroom to find standing water. My fav!