Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

We had quite a weekend. (now with pictures)

The Good-Corbin finished swimming lessons Friday He learned to float on his back, do bobs in and out of the water and swim a little with his face under. Also Derek's brother and sisters are in town, just flew in yesterday. We look forward to a fun week with them.









The Bad- We had our first trip to the emergency room yesterday. It's such an awful story, it keeps playing over and over in my head. Corbin's finger got chewed up by an escalator in a department store. The employees were of NO help. Customers were getting us paper towels and ice and calling 911. ( that is a whole story all on it's own) We did make it to the hospital where a plastic surgeon was able to sew him back up. He thinks that he saved the finger (right index, good thing this little guy is a lefty) but we just have to wait and see if it heals.

Luckily It was a family outing, if Derek hadn't been with us I don't know if I could have handled it. Pops and Bryon came down to the hospital to give Corbin a blessing and take Cooper home with them. That was a blessing all on it's own and it really helped calm Corbin down. He has been playing and not complaining about pain. We hope that lasts. But no more swimming for a while and no more moving stairs!



The Ugly- on a lighter note we had out house painted. No more ugly peeling brown and tan for us baby....we went green with blue & white trim. I know it's not the standard around here but we love it.

22 comments:

Rebecca said...

I saw Erin last night and she told me about your mall incident. Poor Corbin!! I'll have to drive by and see your house:)

Heidi said...

YIKES! you are such a great mom! You handle everything so gracefully! Good to hear that he seems to be doing better.

YAY on painting the house! SO fun! I cant wait to see some pictures!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! My shoelace got caught when I was a little girl and the stairs about ripped off my foot. Every since I have been scared of those things! Poor Corbin. And how scary for you! I hope he heals quickly.

Grammy Staffy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Corbin's accident. I surely hope that it will heal o.k. Will the store pay for the medical cost? I can't believe that they were not being REALLY helpful.... You would think that they would be in hopes that you'd not take legal action if for no other reason.

We just got back to Utah from river rafting in Wyoming with our girls and their families. We are enjoying our visit with Erin and Lynell.

I send my best wishes to Corbin.

Katie said...

I am so sorry to hear about Corbin. I hope he heals ok. How scary for you, I am glad Derek was with you.

The fly-fisherman said...

I am so sorry for little Corbin! I am glad that he was able to get a plastic surgeon to fix it. That is when you realize what a blessing it is to live in the U.S.A.! We have become very expert in the ways of the emergency room with our children. It is always way more tramatic for me than it ever is for them. Corbin will bounce right back and will probably remember very little.

Erin said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS!

I can't imagine how scary that was. Honestly, I think I would have passed out. I don't do well with blood.

Shannon, your floral arrangements are AMAZING!! I didn't know you were doing that. What a great talent!

Hillary said...

I saw Erin on Saturday and she told us about Corbin. Poor little guy. We stoped by your house yesterday. We dropped off the Emergency preparedness paper. I guess home teacher are taking it to the familys they teach and yours was not going to be able to come this month, so we did. Anyways I love your house. It's sooo cute. Even C.J. said it was a cute house. It really turned out so nice, I love it.

sarahhicken said...

The exact same thing happened to us with Drew. It was totally chaotic and I just about took of the head of one of the workers because no one seemed to be able to help. Glad he is okay and hopefully feels better soon.

sarahhicken said...

The exact same thing happened to us with Drew. It was totally chaotic and I just about took of the head of one of the workers because no one seemed to be able to help. Glad he is okay and hopefully feels better soon.

Lori said...

I feel so sad about Corbin, I hope he feels better soon:(. Now I am going to be more paranoid around those things! I want to see pictures of your house, I bet it looks cute.

Mike and Shelby said...

Ouch!!! Poor Corbin. ER visits are never good news. Sorry the employees were of no help, that's AWFUL! Hope his little finger continues to heal well.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new paint job.

...and btw, I am sure you would have done JUST FINE even without Derek around...those mommy instincts kick right in and help you DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, no matter how terrified the situation seems! (I don't doubt that was a scary situation, though!)

The Snow Queen said...

Sheesh. I know the emergency room feeling. It's like, am i going to faint, barf, cry, cover my eyes, or just stand there and nod my head at the doctors. When they announce that the child needs surgery you think, I don't think I'M going to make it.
I'll bet though that Corbin's finger will be fine and have some cool scars to brag about later on. I was amazed that Willow's arm and fingers started working again after her break and surgery, but you should see her now. Hanging like a monkey from the bars every chance she gets. Their little bodies are amazing, and I think they are blessed not to feel pain like old people do. Good luck call me if I can do anything for you.

Kenz said...

Hey what a cute family Derek! This is Mckenzie (Jensen) Hansen. Came across your blog through Emily S. Sorry to hear about your little boy. Hope all is well! Tell your family Hi.

Heather said...

Goodness that makes me a little sick! I am glad things went well!

The comstocks said...

Oh poor little guy and poor you, I dont know if I would beable to handle it! By the way your house looks really good!

Baak Talk said...

I've always been nervous about my kids on the escalator but it's usually about shoelaces & feet, not hands! How scary!

Little bodies really are amazing. They seem to have regenerative capabilities that I wish would continue until adulthood!

Now that I'm moving out that way maybe I'll get to come look at your house first hand!
~Rebecca Baak

Shannon said...

***Corbin Up Date***
The plastic surgeon says that the finger is healing quickly and that all the tissue is getting the blood that it needs. It's alive! But he doesn't know how long it will take for the feeling to come. Corbin hasn't complained at all about pain and so we have stopped giving him the medicine in the middle of the night.

You're all right, their little bodies are amazing.

sarahhicken said...

I loved talking to you the other day and I love the colors of your house.

Mike and Shelby said...

How cool that Corbin's swim lessons took place in such an oasis of a pool!

Glad Corbin's finger is on the mend and going to survive!

Those house colors are so you! Love it!

FYI, all the magic juice ingredients are in the laundry cleaning section of the store. If you can't find super washing soda, the regular A&H soda (also in the laundry section) works. I always find it on the top shelves in my stores. I promise it works! Especially on our white loads!

Heidi said...

OOOOO.... I LOVE THE COLORS!! Seriously! I wasnt sure when you said the colors... but I LOVE IT!!!

Heidi said...

Poor Corbins finger! How is that feeling?