Thursday, August 14, 2008

How many cans can a canner can if a canner can can cans?


My food storage has officially began. I know I'm a late bloomer. Our emergency plan has always been - get to my moms house.

But I realize that we have our own little family to be prepared for.

When Erin invited me to go to the cannery with her I jumped at the chance.

Today was the big day.

Now I officially have:

1 case of white rice
1 case of pinto beans
1 1/2 cases of potato flakes
1 case of quick oats
1 case of macaroni
1 case of dried apple slices
3 cans of dried carrots
1 can of dried onions
15-20 gallons of water

I think that everything I bought has a shelf life of about 30 years. I know it's not a year supply yet, maybe not even a 3 month supply but at least it's something.

It's so wonderful to me how following the Prophet's counsel feels so good. It didn't even hurt writing the check to pay for all that.

Now I just have to find a place to keep all this stuff.

15 comments:

Autumn said...

I have the same plan to run to Mom and Dads house, but now that we are so far away I have been tring to get together a food supply too, if you can call my tiny amount that.

Heather said...

Great job! Let me know where you figure out putting all of it, I need help in that department! Also I am not a big fan of making storage part of my furniture.

The comstocks said...

Its good to know you are getting your food together because you are a lot closer then my moms!! :)

The Texas Links said...

Good job, Shannon! I makes you feel a little more comfortable--just in case. Byron and I went and stocked up when we first moved into this house--but, unfortunately, we didn't rotate anything and had to throw a lot away. You and Erin are inspiring though. Maybe we'll get in gear...maybe it takes an earthquake....not in Texas. Maybe it takes a tornado.....

Mike and Shelby said...

Good for you, Shannon! That food storage is not the easiest or cheapest thing to build up...but it gives so much peace of mind. And you are totally blessed for follwing the prophets counsel.

Love your post title. You make me smile!

Erin said...

yeah for canning. I totally loved it!! Look at us in our Relief Society mode!

Kris said...

Honey,
When did you take up the 'can can'?
I love that dance!

It brings me such peace to know that you have all that extra food in your house. Most especially, I love it that you Follow the Prophet.

Thanks for getting us the canned apple slices. Yum. It is wonderful to have something delicious in your storage.

Hey, I saw the emergency food that we bought from Costco.com AT Costco this week. AND they seemed to have lowered the price. We thought it was a great deal for $99 now it is $69. That is 3 meals a day for one person for 3 months! I have a friend who has used it and said it tasted pretty good.

Alison said...

I have also caught the emergency preparedness bug. I'm currently working on a 72 hour kit. It really is a good feeling to be prepared and follow inspired counsel.
As to where to store it???? Under beds? Top shelf of cupboards? I'm trying to get my 72 hour kit in a suitcase and will store in the basement.

Grammy Staffy said...

Good for you! It looks like you got a good start.

kristen said...

Wow what a great idea.
Hope you have lots of storage around.

Hillary said...

Wow, that's awesome. Did it cost much? We bought some food storage from costco. I should have checked with the cannery, I didn't know that the shelf life was that long.

sarahhicken said...

Good Job Shannon!! I love getting my food storage and all of our friends and family come up and laugh when they see our basement. I guess when we moved up here I figured it needed to do all that stuff. Now i have moved on to canning food. it is so easy and good to eat in the winter.

Jenny said...

Hey Shannon, found your blog through Erin's. Your boys are growing up fast!They are so cute! Great job on the canning, I need to do that too.

Erin said...

I am so impressed! Good Job!

We have a small start, but we are no where near where we need to be. I've gotta get going!

The Snow Queen said...

DO NOT let Derek eat the dried apple slices!!!! We have some of those and Dave found them.... and while they are very yummy they make the stinkiest, smelliest, most vile gas on the planet earth. I guess he could eat a few just not the whole bag. Fabulous! My sister is the food storage lady for her ward and she has a blog about good recipies with food storage her last name is Gardner and you can get to it from a link on her blog.