My Mom and Sisters...I'm on the left then Mom, Rebecca and Kelli
My Mom loves Valentine's Day. I think part of her joy in the holiday comes with the color pink. She grew up in the day where Avacado green, Mustard Yellow and Burt Orange were "the" colors. Which if you know my mom at all you know that she IS pink. Valentine's was the time of year that she could openly express her Pink and boy does she celebrate. Growing up we always made sugar cookies early in the week and then had a special dinner on special plates with special little gifts from Mom and Dad at our seats. As we got older our family would take advantage of the long holiday weekend in February and make it a Valentine's getway to someplace exotic like LA or San Diego (smile).
To carry on the tradition this year I made a few batches of sugar cookies. Derek brought home roses for me. They are beautiful and still going strong. For our Valentine's dinner we made individual heart pizzas and I had little gifts for each of my boys.
Then yesterday was the Girl's Valentine Lunch. A tradition that my mom started about 18 years ago when she organized a lunch with her mother and sisters and Jan a very close family friend. Everyone was to bring a little gift for everyone else and then gifts were exchanged and a wonderful lunch followed. This small gathering has grown into quite an event.My little seat of gifts that I recieved...isn't that cute?
All the married girls in the family are invited (or single and 30). We all still bring a little gift for everyone. This year we had the largest group yet....11 ladies 2 traveled from Arizona and 1 from Colorado to be with us as we celebrated Valentine's Day with my Mom.
This is everyone (but I'm taking the picture) at the resturant before the gift opening. Doesn't that look like fun? We all open the gift from the same person at the same time. Our food usually arrives just as we are finishing and then we all just have so much fun talking. It is a great tradition. It's so much fun to all be together with no little kids and enjoy a leisurely afternoon with the lovely women in our family.


14 comments:
Wow, what a fun tradition. Your mom is awesome.
What a fun tradition to pass on! Makes me want to start it for my family!
Honey, thank you for this photo tribute of my favorite day by one of my favorite girls in the world!
Your mom is definitely PINK! I love the tradition! What a great time:)
I'm totally going to start that tradition out here in Colorado if I can make that many friends. How fun! I Love it! what a cute group of women!
What a fun holiday tradition! Valentine's day isn't JUST for love birds after all! It's a time to let ALL your loved ones know you love them. Why not bring all the ladies together to share the love! Cute pics!
I remember when she started doing these special events with her friends when I was in my teens. The dinning room was always decorated so beautifully and a wonderful menu. I remember thinking I would do this with my friends when I got older. But I can barely do a nice one for my little family, I guess I will have to wait for a friends tradition. What fun to be with your sisters! Lucky you!
Hi Shannon. It is so great to hear from you. Corbin is so big! When we left he was barely a year old. I am so glad that you commented on my blog. Honestly, I have not been blogging very much lately. Hopefully I will be better about it. :)
hello! thanks for the comment. your family is awesome! your parents are actually in my ward and i have known them for a long time. i love valentines day too, but looks like you guys have great traditions... looks like fun!
Wow, you girls are sure pretty!
I love that your Mom loves pink. Adam told me that a long time ago. Can't remember why, but I think I remember him telling me her camp nickname. Didn't it have something to do with pink?
What a fun tradition! Your boys (this includes Derek) are so lucky to have such a fun and creative mom (and wife)! I love the girls day out idea, I'll have to try to put something like that together for my family next year. You have totally inspired me!
Shannon, you're cute! how are you? glad I found your blog!!!
I love all the valentines traditions that your mom started...that is so cool! I really want to start some traditions like that...but everytime we try to do something no one ever has time! YIKES
Hey Shannon,
What fun finding you and your cute family. Tell your mom I said Hi.XXXOOO Lynell(Staffanson)
Post a Comment