Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

I do believe that today is Earth Day. So I thought I would share the one thing I do to help out. I don't always remember to recycle, and I should use the garbage disposal more but, the one little contribution I do make is this....I reuse the little cups that Crystal Light comes in. You know the ones with the foil tops. Don't' laugh...I'm serious. After I make a pitcher, I wash out the little plastic up and save it. They are just the right size to put ketchup in to dip our nuggets, and when Corbin helps me bake I measure the salt and baking soda into one so he can dump it in. I also fill it with syrup so he can pour his own with taking too much. I have even made little servings of jello in them. So there ya go. I know it's not much, but it must help a little right. I would love to know what you re-use.

9 comments:

Erin said...

VERY cleaver!! I love it!!

I love to buy the Briana's salad dressing and they come in a cute glass bottle. SO, when the dressing is all gone, I take the paper off the outside and clean the bottle. I save them up all year until Christmas time and fill them with a really yummy homemade syrup- buy a fun pumpkin pancake mix and, presto, it's a perfect neighbor/visiting teaching gift.

Lynell said...

Way to go! The only thing I can think of is we always reuse our plastic water bottles. I never really thought about it as recycling. I was just trying to save a little money. But hey, it sure helps our trash to not fill up so fast!

kthom said...

Now you are a thinker...I never would have thought of that. By the way, thanks for the chicken inspiration the other night...I really liked cooking it in pineapple juice! Yum :)Have a great day!

Mike and Shelby said...

Well, aren't you the smartest little thing! I love that idea...Lauren loves veggies w/ ranch, I do think I'll use your idea for our own home. Thanks....and Happy Earth Day. (I love how they added that Random thought on American Idol last night too.)

Alison said...

I love your idea about the crystal lite containers. We'll start saving ours too.
What do we do? Well...1. we started buying the small mix packs of Crystal Lite instead of buying the bottled pre-made. Saves room in my pantry too.
2. My kids all take their bath together.
3. I reuse all the plastic bags for disposing stinky diapers.
4. I'm going to potty train the twins soon than later.
How's that for starters?

Alison said...

Someday I'll do a post honoring my Grandma Link....She was AMAZING at reusing EVERYTHING in creative ways!

Grammy Staffy said...

Like Lynell, I save my water bottles and refill them over and over. I used to fill them half full water and freeze them. When I filled them with water they would stay cold for hours. However, Erin convinced me that it was not good to freeze water in them so now I only do that once in a while.

I often save, wash out and reuse the plastic bags that have the zippers on top and the tin foil off baked potatoes. Don't tell my girls because they will think I am nuts. I also love hanging my laundry out on my clothes line. Does that date me or what!!

Grammy Staffy said...

Shannon you inspired me to do my belated "Earth day" post. I dedicate my new post to you.

Shumway FAM said...

wow. you women are inspirational.
we've been recycling for about a year, and i sure love going and getting my 19-20 dollars...it's like free money at Stater Bros. I also bought a ton of those reuseable grocery bags, if I could just remember to put them back in my car to reuse them...and I'm trying to buy better products for cleaning the house...which is hard since all the super chemical ones are always on sale, and work so well.
Happy Earth day.