I love this flower.When I was going to BYU I would drive up in the hills behind the Provo Temple in the spring and cut lilac blossoms off bushes larger than my car. I would fill vases with different shades of purple. When ever I smell a lilac now I think of that time in my life, my favorite house I lived in there, with my favorite roommates. The energy that the last weeks of school bring. The memories come back to me with one little whiff.
There are other smells that I love. I love the smell of Derek. I remember our wedding day, standing so close to him posing for pictures out side the Los Angeles Temple. I get to remember that day every time I stand close and breath him in. What a wonderful day that was.
I love the smell of baby laundry. I know that it is a scent I will miss one day. Some day all our laundry will smell that same and the baby Dreft will not be needed. Cooper is already old enough for me to move on but I'm just not ready for that one. Maybe when the next jug is empty...
How about coming home from school on a rainy day, walking in the door and knowing there were cookies or popcorn and cocoa waiting for us. Cozy memories.
I wonder what scents my little boys will remember? Will it be fresh cut grass that they helped their daddy mow or the way my hair smells when I hold them tight.
I would love to fill the house with lilacs and start new memories with the sweet blooms. I did today, and I loved walking by, catching a little sniff as I cleared the breakfast dishes and when I played peek a boo with Cooper in the high chair and again when I held Corbin after stubbing is toe.
I love this flower.
13 comments:
Just wanted to say a big thank you for your support. It means so much. I think I just need to take some time and we will make the right decision. Hopefully I will go in the right direction after a few appointments that we have lined up for this week.
Take care and thanks again
Kristen
I love the smell of kittens! It reminds me of when I was little and our cat, Betty, had so many little kittens. I can recognize the smell anywhere.
Cute post!
Dear Shannon,
You are so sweet. People that notice the tender things in life build a library of sweet memories.
Smells do bring back special memories. I still have a bottle of my mothers perfume. Every time I smell it, I get a fragrance hug from her. My little granddaughter recently told me that she likes coming to my house because it smells like "Grammy's world'.
Ooh Shannon,
The way you look at life is enchantingly beautiful. Your blog is a window to your soul. Every part of you is wonderful. I love you so.
MOM
I remember all those beautiful flowers you used to bring into that cute little house. I also remember all the other yummy smells you added so often, delicious cookies, fabulous dinners, etc. You made that little place so homey (is that how you spell it?) and warm!
My mom still has one very small closet with some of my sweet grandmother’s things- like her jewelry, some things that she crocheted and such. She died when I was 12 year old, but she made me feel like I was the most important person in the world. When I smell that little closet I am filled with the love that she had for me. I love it!
We are here in CA we need to get together with you guys
I love how you describe everything. You have a way with words that just enchants the reader. I feel like I am in the same room with you when I read your blogs. I love the smell of iris's they always make me smile.
scents are powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing a bit of you!
scents are powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing a bit of you!
wow... that made me start thinking of all my favorite smells. you are a great writer!
I agree. I love the smell of spring in the air....
the smell of fresh baked bread....
the smell of my grandpa...
the smell of my girls after bathtime....
the smell of my mom's house....
the smell of fresh gardenia....
mmmmm, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
(and I see no reason why you can't keep using that baby dreft for Corbin all the way till he goes away to college!)
I'd bring ya back some lilacs if we were neighbors or even lived in the same state:) I like those that appreciate the little things like yummy smells!
So true. There are certain smells that make me happy because they remind me of my youth. Like fried food on a blue sky day... Disneyland. Or coconut on a blue sky day... the beach! I smell them here only occasionally and I feel happy.
Love the photos of all your flowers. Can I come live in your backyard?
Post a Comment