
(Our First Day As a Family of 4...it's all a blur for Corbin (smile))
Today is Coopers birthday. His first birthday.
When I remember the first time I held him, and looked at his sweet chubby little face, I think about how love for him filled me, filled me right to the top.
I know that he was meant to be in our family. This sweet little baby is ours and is the perfect brother for Corbin. Cooper loves being a baby. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to move on to the next little baby phase. He takes his time and doesn't get frustrated with the things he can't do yet. It is a great quality to have. It helps me enjoy the stage he is in because he enjoys it.
Cooper has a twinkle in his eye when he looks at me that gives me a little glimpse into the joy he wants to share. His eyes have a way of saying " I love you". When he was just a little little baby he would look at me, really at me, like he knew already knew me. I think he did. I think he knew that I was going to be his mom and even though he didn't get to hear my voice until he left the hospital, he recognized me.
We are going to see his birth mom today. I don't know how this day feels to her. I know that she knows she made the right choice for this little one. And I hope that seeing him on his birthday will bring her sweet memories of the time she got to spend with him before she gave him to his family.
When I remember the first time I held him, and looked at his sweet chubby little face, I think about how love for him filled me, filled me right to the top.
I know that he was meant to be in our family. This sweet little baby is ours and is the perfect brother for Corbin. Cooper loves being a baby. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to move on to the next little baby phase. He takes his time and doesn't get frustrated with the things he can't do yet. It is a great quality to have. It helps me enjoy the stage he is in because he enjoys it.
Cooper has a twinkle in his eye when he looks at me that gives me a little glimpse into the joy he wants to share. His eyes have a way of saying " I love you". When he was just a little little baby he would look at me, really at me, like he knew already knew me. I think he did. I think he knew that I was going to be his mom and even though he didn't get to hear my voice until he left the hospital, he recognized me.
We are going to see his birth mom today. I don't know how this day feels to her. I know that she knows she made the right choice for this little one. And I hope that seeing him on his birthday will bring her sweet memories of the time she got to spend with him before she gave him to his family.
15 comments:
you are so insightful. What a great mom you are. a good example to those around you.
Cooper is a lucky baby. He gets to be in your family and know his birth mother too. The only thing that I would change about being adopted is that I never got to meet my birth mother. I wish that I could have thanked her for giving me birth and giving me up. I know that my birth mother made the right decision just like Cooper's birth mom did. Happy Birthday Cooper.
What a wonderful day for your family. He is such a cute baby and obviously so loved by your family. I hope today is just wonderful for you.
Oh, I have tears in my eyes! Thanks for sharing such sweet thoughts. What a wonderful blessing!
Lura, you say the most beautiful things.
Shannon I love the way you expressed your feelings about Cooper. The first time I saw you hold him he looked at you with eyes of love and recognition. I KNEW he KNEW you and loved you. It was SOOOOOOOO different than any other baby looking at his mother than I had ever seen. That look has been in his eyes countless---thousands of times. I have seen it. He is a very blessed little boy to be yours.
Wow, what a wonderful day!
Please do a new post for all of us... how did that day go? I'm sure his birth mom saw your cute family and had a sweet reassurance that she picked the most perfect family.
happy happy birthday! Sorry I didnt get to leave this messege earlier I was in route the day of and havent got on the computer at alis til now. Sorry about that. Anyway I'm sure glad cooper is here!!
Happy first birthday. What a tender post.
Motherhood is such an amazing thing and brings no greater joy. Can I just say those boys are SO BLESSED to have you and Derek as their parents. You are amazing, Shannon.
How wonderful to celebrate a first birthday! Cooper is so precious and he was definatly was meant to be in your family! I LOVE that he enjoys each stage so sweetly. Enjoy your little 1 year old!!!!
Congrats. You are all pretty lucky to have each other. Hope all goes well with the birth mom. She made a great choice!
YOu're boys are so lucky to have a great family.
How did it all go with the birth mum. Gee that would be hard to see such a beautiful boy and not get attatched.
The visit with Cooper's birth mom went well. She and I went to dinner at her favorite restaurant with Cooper. Then back to her family’s home where they had a few birthday gifts for him. We really like her a lot. And the times we have been with her are always comfortable for us. I don't know how she does it. Like Kristen wondered...how do you see this cute boy and not get attached? I wonder if she wants to be attached. I think she worries about him not understanding that she did the best thing for him and that she could only have done it out of love for him. But that is our job, to always make sure that he knows how much she loves him. And he will!
Wow, what a big day. You have such a beautiful family and a great way of sharing how you came to be a family. These little boys will love to hear how their mama fell in love with them.
Glad to hear it went well. It will be wonderful for the boys to know you had that relationship later on .
I just read this post and tears came to my eyes as it is Mother's Day and reading your sweat story just fills my heart with joy that you guys are a happy family.
Post a Comment