Thursday, May 22, 2008

Need a Raise?

I read recently that when a man gets married 1 hour of chores is eliminated from his weekly to do list.

Where did they go you ask....

Well when a woman gets married 7 hours of chores are added to her week.

Does that surprise anyone?

I wonder what her total goes up to when you add kids into her day. Could we even count how much time we spend working for our families?

That brings me to the next study I read. It calculated how much money a stay home mom would be making if there was someone out there crazy enough to pay her. Their average was about $117,000.00

I could live on that.

Plus think of the job security. These kids aren't going anywhere for a while.

I felt so lucky.

Lucky to be in the stay home mom category.

I may not be making anything in real money, but I get to be the one not getting paid for all I do all day.

It makes the 7 extra hours that my darling husband has thrown on me not seem so bad. He is out there working hard and doing a great job at it so I can stay home making nothing but memories.

I love this job.

7 comments:

Heather said...

That's a lot of money but I still think that if the list of things you do as a stay at home mom were listed at a job interveiw their would be no applicants....well at least no male applicants. I think we are worth way more than anyone could think to pay us! Some how it is still worth it without the pay!

Stacey said...

So, thats where those extra 7 hours came from!!
Wouldnt trade it for anything though!
Cute blog, Shannon!

Katie said...

You are so positive. I am grateful I get to stay at home too, although it's so hard - it's really a luxury.

Mike and Shelby said...

I used to ONLY have that stay-at-home mom job (*sigh*)....now that I have to work outside the home, I am grateful for the stay-at-home DAD in the evenings and weekends. (Which means NO ONE ELSE needs to watch my girls!)

So, I don't think Mike can claim that he's lost his hour of "honey-do" chores. (What a man!) I love my days with our girls and he loves his evenings with our girls. And I hope one day I can be JUST a 24-7 mommy again!

....and I'd really like to see that paycheck in my bank account!

Grammy Staffy said...

When I retired last year some of my friends commented that I would get a lot more retirement income if I hadn't taken off 18 years to raise my family. Little do they know. Teaching high school for 22 years was plenty long enough and no increase in retirement pay could even come close to the treasures I acquired being a stay a home mom with my kids..... besides look at how great the 4 of them turned out....how could I be richer? You are doing the right thing. Keep it up.

Lynell said...

Isn't that the truth. Being a mommy is definately the hardest, most wonderful job in the world.

Anonymous said...

I think it would cost way more than that. But I would take the hundred grand!

I agree with you. I feel so, so lucky to be the one at home raising my children. I would much rather be without and have this gift, than have that gorgeous house, great wardrobe, and be without my children.