Monday, June 23, 2008

I Love to See the Temple

Friday June 20th, Cooper was Sealed to us.

What a wonderful day.

Corbin sang "I love to see the Temple" for days before and still is all this weekend. I hope that he will keep a memory of that day.

He is still so young.

I could tell that he felt the spirit there. I could tell by the way he held on to me and was so reverent as he looked at the pictures of Christ framed on the walls. I whispered to him that the feeling he had inside was the Holy Ghost. That the spirit was telling him that the temple was a special place. A place where families can be together forever.

I hope that he will remember that feeling .

When Derek and I, along with all of our family that were in attendance, were sitting together in the sealing room the man dressed in an all white suit talked about families. He was darling and said some great things to all of us.

When he thought enough time had passed and that the boys had made it down the hall to us and were probably waiting outside the closed door, he went over to open it and said that "your children should be here now"....but they weren't.

In that moment I was reminded of our journey to bring kids into our home. And how when we decided it was time to start a family and we opened that door...no one came.

They didn't come when we thought it was time... and they didn't come the way we had planned.

We know that is because our family wasn't just in our hands it was in our Heavenly Fathers.

Sitting there it only took seconds. A few breaths. And they were here, we were a family.

I'm sure that's how time passed to our Heavenly Father too.

He knew that once we opened the door that He would be walking these little boys down the hall to us . He couldn't help it if their little legs couldn't move as fast as we wanted.

They are here now, and so worth the (little) wait.

We hope to do this again. We want to adopt again. We pray for more children. The door is open, now we are just waiting for them to make it down the hall and join our little family.

(Thanks to all the family that were there to be part of this special day. We love you for fitting us into your busy summer. And we know that the family who couldn't make it, wanted to be here too and we love you for that)

26 comments:

Katie said...

Finally! I am so glad you are sealed and had such a wonderful experience. This makes me so happy for you!

The fly-fisherman said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful day for your family. I am so happy for you. It looks like it was a beautiful day all together. You are very lucky to have such a darling ETERNAL family. Thanks for posting pictures of your special day!

The Snow Queen said...

I love your little blonde indian. He's too cute. The two of them remind me of the Lost Boys on Peter Pan that are so in need of a mother. What a blessing adoption is. The way each baby comes to each family is a little miracle all on its own. Did you let a little sigh of relief once you KNEW he was yours forever? It's time for another play date. We should go to Hemet and swim this time. Call me. (I swear I will answer)

sarahhicken said...

I am so happy for you guys. What a special day to remember. You are such wonderful parents to those 2 little boys.

Erin said...

Oh Shannon... What an incredible day! I am totally teary eyed. What a special experience for you and your family. Congratulations!

kthom said...

Beautifully written, darling family. What a fun day! What temple is that....Newport Beach maybe, so pretty. I'm so happy for you all, much more to come :)

Grammy Staffy said...

What a wonderful, wonderful day. I am so very happy for you and your whole family. What a blessing.
Congratulations.

Erin said...

it was a great day. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. I just love my nephews and think they are pretty dang cute. Yah coopers official!!!!

Mike and Shelby said...

Shannon, I've said it before, but YOU ARE AN AMAZING PERSON! I am so happy for you, Derek and those two adorable boys. What a neat experience, to be able to see the spirit actually touching little Corbin. A sincere, heart-felt and eternal congrats to you.

(And look at that GREAT haircut! LOOOOOVE IT!)

The Texas Links said...

Beautifully said, Shannon. What a blessing it is for you and Derek to be able to go to the temple with your children when they are young. It's such a beautiful thing to be at the alter and then have your children come in dressed in white. I think that's as close to heaven on earth as it gets. At that moment you realize what we're all here for and how very blessed we are to be able to parents (no matter how they came to us). We're sad that we missed your wonderful day but so happy that Cooper has been sealed to you guys. He's a lucky boy. Love you!

Heather said...

What a wonderful blessing, I am so happy for your family!

Alison said...

We so wish we could have been there for this special day. Congratulations on your forever family! Love you.

Baak Talk said...

Thank you for sharing your special day. May your lives be blessed with many special memories to treasure through eternity~

kristen said...

What beautiful family photos.
Your boys are so blessed.

Autumn said...

Exciting day guys. What an awesome experience for your boys. We need to get together before we head back to AZ.

Grandma Horton said...

This was truly a glorious day. Shannon your thoughts and feelings are beautifully expressed. The idea of the door is open and we are waiting applies to so many things in our life. One of my favorite words in the scriptures is Receive. Heavenly Father promises that He will give us all that we are willing to "Receive" ...what a beautiful promise. And yet, as you expressed sometimes we have to open the door and wait ( and wait and wait).
It was my beautiful privilege to walk the corridor of the temple holding your precious Corbin's hand and darling Cooper in my arms. As we walked the hall we paused as people stopped to Rejoice with us and as Corbin spotted pictures of Jesus on the wall. So, while you were waiting wonderful things were happening.

ELMtreephotography said...

Congratulations to a wonderful family. We loved reading about your beautiful experience in the temple...Emily Wensel

Edith said...

I just have to tell you with watery eyes, I am so happy to hear adoption stories. I stumbled across your blog and am happy I did. We are sealing our baby to us in 2 weeks, (And it's actually the same temple here. and funny thing is the court room you were in is the same one we were in just days ago.) What a special thing, ~Edith

Shumway FAM said...

I LOOOOVE your comments to jot down b/c you will forget them if you don't put them somewhere.
can i totally COPYCAT you?
I love that idea. And there's not a better place for it.
Also, congrats on being sealed. I'm sure it was a very happy day.

Rebecca said...

Hooray! What an exciting and highly anticipated event! You all look so beautiful and happy. Congratulations!

Lori said...

That was a wonderful day Shannon! We're so glad to have that adorable Cooper in our family!

Hillary said...

Wow, Shannon that touched my heart. Thank you for sharing this wonderful day and congratulations!


P.S. Way cute outfit you have on.

Lynell said...

I am so happy for you. Looks like a wonderful day. Temples are such a blessing. How exciting to know that you can be together.

Emily said...

You have such a cute family! What an amazing day!
No, unfortunately no one else im my family has started a blog ....yet. They say that they will, so I am hoping.

Erin said...

I have a quick goofy question... I would really love to get the recipe for your Citrus lime chicken skewers and cilantro lime rice. Sounds heavenly and will be perfect for a dinner party. You can e-mail or call me if that would be easier erinstaffy@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!

Stacie A said...

I loved reading this post and all of the comments and can hardly see, due to all the tears in my eyes. Congratulations on having your little ones sealed to you. What an amazing experience! You expressed your feelings so beautifully and I can understand what means to wait and wait. We are definitely on our Heavenly Father's Plan, even when it's difficult. Thank you for your comments and sweet testimony. :) I am so happy for you.