Monday, August 17, 2009

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm is the sound that Corbin hears in his left ear all day long, hmmmm. Isn't that sad. It must be so annoying, like when you have a cold and your ears plug up and you feel like your head is in a bubble. I hate that.

Corbin needs ear tubes. I don't even know if I just said that right. I'm still trying to learn about this. He has fluid in one ear that is effecting his hearing so the ENT says he needs tubes.

Do any of you have any experience with this. I have no idea what to expect or how to prepare him for this. I'm not even sure what kinds of questions to ask the doctor and our next visit is just a few days before the procedure. I don't know how it will effect his daily life or how long he will need them in. The ENT says keep your ears out of the water the pediatrician says just wear ear plugs, neither of those sound great.

If any of you have any advice or know anything about it I'd love hear it.

13 comments:

The comstocks said...

Awww poor corbin, poor you! One of Shellys boys have them I dont know which one of them, ask her about it.

Kara said...

I have a lot to say, so I will try to get it all down. First off there is an awesome book, by Usbourne, it talks about having an operation, getting tubes in in fact. It prepared Kate for her surgery in January. She was so prepared nothing really worried her. In fact she just jumped up on the table and put the mask on with no hesitation. I highly recommend the book. i will get you the name of it. When I was little I should have had tubes in my ears, but my parents decided not to. I wish I had. I don't have ringing like you describe, but I have had other issues. Chelsea's little boy just had them in I will have her tell you what she thinks. She told me the surgery just takes a couple of minutes. I bet it will help him so much.

Kara said...

Okay, the name of the book is
Going to the hospital by Usborne
We read it quite a few times and would talk about what to expect. she was also only 3. But the book was great. Hope that helps

Alison said...

Annaliese got tubes when she was a baby b/c she kept getting ear infections. The surguery was quick and outpatient. She was pretty angry and miserable when she came out of anestisia but I think she was feeling much better..good as new by the next day. I think Erin's friend Amy has a son with tubes. He wears earplugs and ear covers in the pool with no problem. Hope this helps. It will be nice to get his ears drained so he will be able to hear. Poor little guy! xo

sarahhicken said...

Okay my best advice with little kids and surgery is to make sure the anestesiologist gives them this medicine that makes them sleepy before they even go back for the surgery. That way by the time they leave you they are soooo loopy and are half asleep. Makes the whole process alot easier. I had one done with and one without and let me tell you the without was terrible for everyone. Then just make sure that they wear those ear covers when they get in the water and no problem. The tubes will probably grow out by them selves in a few years but it will make a huge difference in their language and speech development. Sorry this is so long. Seems like all the weird stuff seems to happen to our family. Like the escalator incident.

The Barton's said...

Hi Shan, I work in a pediatricians office and tubes are really common in kids. it's quick and he will bounce back quick. My oldest has had several surgeries and they gave her versed. It made her groggy.The thing that always helped her were blessings and knowing "jesus" was with her. For you, it is always hard to see your babes go to surgury. Just have faith.

Baak Talk said...

Hi Shannon,

Bryce came close to having plugs because he had 1 1/2 of ear infections. I decided to wait out the last cold season and he didn't get another infection so we didn't have to do it.

HOWEVER, it did affect his speach development because he couldn't hear properly and had to go to speach just last year to clear it up. I have SEVERAL friends (5 I can think of) that have had the tubes put in their kids ears and the plugs and earcovers seem to work great. They all outgrew the need for them in about a year.

As far as surgery, Kierstin had to be put asleep when she was in 1st grade for dental work. It was very nerve racking when they go over all the risks for it. They are really uncommon (the risks).

They gave her some laughing gas before hand and we had talked about it so she would knows what to expect so she went under pretty well. She just slept most of the day away and it went fine.

Teresa said...

Oh, so sorry. Nick had the surgery when he was 6 months. it was harder on me than it was on him. But, (until they fell out - like they were supposed to) they helped IMMENSELY!!

The Texas Links said...

Well....I was going to say all of those things.
None of my kids have had tubes, but we've known many kids who have. Benefits out weigh the risks. He'll be hearing a whole new world--Fun!

Shannon said...

-Thank you all for your help with this. I feel lots better.

But it you think of anything else I'd love to hear it. Our big day is September 18.

Jen said...

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such an encouraging comment! Made my day! :) Glad you've been able to get some fun deals, too!

As far as the tubes, I'm a speech therapist and I definitely recommend getting the tubes if your drs see the need - it really does make a HUGE difference in their hearing and will hopefully help so there won't be speech delays later on b/c he wasn't able to hear the sounds during key language development times! My friend just had it done for her 1 1/2 yr old who wasn't talking or even babbling and has already been noticing a difference in that he's started babbling after the surgery. I really think the constant ear infections was affecting his language. So, that's just my two cents! :)

Erin said...

oh girl, im not a mom but i think this is a realively easy procedure. AMy is the queen of tubes. Kade has them, he wears plugs and a cover in the water and he is fine. It has totally helped him with draining. Call amy she might be a good one to talk to.

Katie said...

Shannon,

My oldest had them, and except for the stress of the operating day, it was really good for him, and saved me many a sleepless night because he didn't wake up anymore screaming because his ears hurt. He got them when he was 2 and a half and they fell out when he was about 6 all on there own. Honestly I didn't even put anything in his ears when we went in the water and he was fine. Good luck these kinds of things are always harder on mom than the kids.
Katie Morse