Monday, May 19, 2008

"Mommy, hair off"

Why is it that some guys like girls with long hair, some with short. Some prefer blonds others brunettes.

I think Corbin is already growing his opinion.

He hates it when my hair is back in a pony tail. He likes it down. "Mommy, hair off" he says. He means he wants the rubber band out of my hair. I wonder if he going to like girls with long hair, his first crush was the Little Mermaid. I'm sure it was the long flowing hair.

Derek on the other hand loves short hair.

However, for the last 2 years or so I have been letting my hair grow out and he has hated every moment of it. For every holiday he has asked that my gift to him be gift that I cut my hair.

Well, I wasn't ready.

I do believe that there is an age where women are just too old for long hair. Knowing that someday I would be in that category I decided to let it grow now (even though I like short hair better too).

Once it got past he awkward stage where it gets stuck in your collar, I started to get used to having long hair.

That's when I got it into my head that I wanted to donate my tresses to Locks of Love. This is that last time I will let my hair grow and soon I'll have to much grey and they can't use hair that is colored.

When Derek would ask me to cut it I would use the excuse that, "Corbin won't love me anymore if I cut my hair". If he can't take a ponytail how is he gonna do with hair that's too short for one?

Well that stars aligned this month for Derek.

1.It was his Birthday
2.My hair was long enough to donate
3.I'm seeing the signs that permanent hair color is in my near future.

So, I cut my hair.

It was a surprise for Derek and he couldn't be more thrilled. Corbin hasn't even seemed to notice.

I'm not any good at blow drying it yet....still a little rusty (I do miss just letting my hair air dry) But now both of my boys with opinions are happy.

No more "Cut your hair ...pleeeease" or "Mommy, hair off".

I don't know why boys care about long or short hair, but for now mine have got what they want... and I'm still wearing a rubber band around my wrist out of habit.

14 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

O.K. so where is the picture of you with your cute new do? We want to see.

May must be hair cut season. Both Erin and Lynell got their hair cut too. (So did I but then my hair has looked the same for 40 years so it is no big deal)

Can't wait to see your picture.

Shannon said...

I wanted to post a before and after pic, but our camera has been broken for over a month. A new one is on it's way so maybe I'll add a photo here later.

Alison said...

You have the greatest hair short or long! I love that you can wear either way and are bold enough to try new styles. Go Shannon! Can't wait to see a pic! =)

The fly-fisherman said...

Shannon it was so good to hear from you. This blogging thing is very new to me, but I absolutely love it. It has been fun to reunite with some dear friends. I loved reading about your family. Your boys are darling as well as your home. I love all of the colors on your walls!!! They are so bright and cheery and comfortable. I loved this post about your hair, because just today I added highlights back into my hair after Garrett and Russ both mentioned they like it much better with the blonde. What can I do? They have to look at it more than I do.

Erin said...

I can't wait to see a photo! I got mine cut, but am already thinking I would like to go a few inches shorter... we shall see.

Congrats on donating your hair! That is so dang awesome! I've added some color to mine, so it is considered forever tainted, so sad!

Lynell said...

That is so awesome that you were able to donate your hair. I have actually been trying to grow out my hair for about 10 years. I have finally given in to the fact that I am a short hair kind of girl. Can't wait to see your new doo.

Baak Talk said...

I love blogging! It's been so fun to get a glimpse into your life Shannon!

Did you hear Ron & Mindy Skaggs are putting together a reunion in HB in July?

I'd love to get together on other occasions as well. My boys would love to play with your boys!
~Rebecca Baak (Davis)

The Texas Links said...

I saw a pic of your hair on Ali's blog and I've been meaning to tell you how cute it is. Not only is it cute--but how cool for you to be able to donate it. I always love fresh new do's. Change it up a little. And...don't worry about the coloring thing. I think you're the only person I know that hasn't colored her hair--most have been for the last 15 years. The trips to the salon are way more expensive too. If I could get away without coloring, I would love it. It kills me to see gray in my hair. It makes me feel older than I am. No wait...I am older. Oh well. I'll fight it every bit of the way.
Love ya Shannon!

Rebecca said...

I will be waiting for the picture... Oh, and if I'm ever around again...we need to have another play date:) I'll call you!

Stacie A said...

You are such a creative writer...I love reading your blog! Congrats on the new do, glad your men are happy! :)

Shumway FAM said...

so, are you gonna show us all your cute hair?

Mike and Shelby said...

I always thought you sported short hair so well- oh so chic and sassy! Then I saw your picture with your hair long....and you looked fabulous that way too! Darn you! :)

What a sweet thing to donate your hair. Can't wait to see the pictures when you get that new camera.

Heidi said...

Like everyone else... I want to see a picture. I Love my long hair, but its so thick I hate it during the summer. I get too ansy and want to cut it every year around this time.

Post the picture!! PLEEAASE!

Anonymous said...

Where's the photo?!

Adam was a short hair boy until he married the long hair girl. Now he cries when I even trim his daughters hair. :)