Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pot Pie


One of my favorite dinners to make when the weather gets cool is chicken pot pie. It's about the only time Corbin will eat vegetables, which is a bonus for me.

Now I have realized that photographing food is a lot harder than it looks in good pictures. So this really is tastier than it might look, so try to get past the blue pie pan, when I started dinner I wasn't planning on taking pictures of it. But I thought I might share it anyway.

Now this recipe isn't exact, I just throw things in, I don't know if you can really mess it up.
Here's what you need:

One pie crust for the top( I use store bought ones the come in the refrigerated section rolled up in a box)

1/4 c.Frozen chopped onions (a great invention)

+1 1/2 c Frozen veggies, I like peas and carrots, but you can use what ever your family likes.

+2 c.Frozen hash brown (the little cubed ones) That makes the pie nice and thick

1 Can of cream of chicken soup (I make my own version because of Corbin's milk allergy)

A couple spoon fulls of sour cream is yummy too

1-1 1/2 c. Shredded Chicken, I most often use about 1/2 a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, but sometime I have left over baked chicken-what ever is easiest, that's the whole point of this dinner for me.

Salt and pepper to taste

Pour everything but the crust into a mixing bowl. It will be nice and thick and cold. Just mix until the chicken soup and sour cream are evenly distributed. Don't forget to salt an pepper, all the frozen veggies need it. Remember I'm just guessing with the measurements, you want the filling to fill up the pie pan. I only use a top crust, it saves about 800 calories for the whole pie and the bottom crust is yummy, but not really needed. Pour the mixture into a pie pan and cover with pie crust. Cut a few slits on top and bake at 400° (or the temp recommended on the pie crust box) for about 45min. or until the center is hot an you can see the sides bubbling.
We just scoop it out when serving, I don't try to cut it like a pie.

This would be good with turkey left overs instead of the chicken too!

6 comments:

The comstocks said...

that does sound good, i was thinking about this the other day, maybe i will try it this week! thanks!

Grammy Staffy said...

Yummy...John loves pot pie. He will be delighted when I try your recipe.

I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love, Lura

Erin said...

I always love a new recipe to try! Sounds delicious!!

Noelle and Corey said...

It's because in magazines, etc., it is not always real food they are photographing. They're tricky. We know you're still a great cook- Corey and I still rave about the chicken tacos & cilantro lime rice you made us. I need that recipe, or you can just come here and make it for us!

Alison said...

That looks yummy. I'll have to try it soon!
You and your aunt DO look just alike! You are both cute girls!

Mike and Shelby said...

yum! Chicken pot pie is a favorite at our house too. I am not too fond of the recipe I have in my cookbook right now, so I'll be trying yours for sure.

I knew right away you had taken that picture...I can't look past the blue pan-it's so you and one of the things I love about you! Your the only girl I know who loves the color blue as much as you do!