Friday, December 5, 2008

The Great Count Down

The countdown has begun. The boys, well Corbin, is really excited about Christmas this year and so we are counting down in style. Well maybe not style but we are counting down in many ways.

First, of course, the traditional paper chain.
Second, a candy chain- one little starburst each day for both the boys. Now, Cooper is catching on to this one.For Family Home Evening we read the First Presidency's Message in the Friend. They tell us that this holiday season we should, "sing with joy, pray in gratitude and carry out good deeds". We have little pictures here to remind us of those 3 things...

and each evening we are writing on a little paper ornament what we are grateful for that day and one kind deed that the children did. Then we sing a song (with joy of course) and say a prayer including all the things we each are thankful for. It has only been a few days, but I really like this...it's a really nice way to end the day.


We are also going to wrap up all our Christmas story books and read one each night before Christmas, but I don't have 25 so we haven't started that one yet, and I haven't put them out either, didn't want to torture the kids with gifts they can't open for that long.
(I can't take credit for all these ideas, I got the candy and book idea from my friend Heather, and thank you to Hillary and CJ for coming over for family night and helping with the candy chains...thanks!)

12 comments:

Katie said...

Super cute ideas! I am going to "star" this post in my google reader for next year when Quinn might actually understand a little bit more.

Mike and Shelby said...

Can you be any cuter as a mom!?!

Thank you for sharing thses ideas. We just have the traditional advent calendar where the girls each get to put an ornament on a tree. (That is special in our house though-my sister made us a replica of the advent calendar we had growing up) We also pulled out our Christmas books and have read one each day too, but I love the wrapping idea better! I'm going to have to get busy to catch up to you!

Kris said...

The boys are awfully excited about your advent ideas. They took me around to see them all today. The candy one certainly seemed a favorite of Cooper.

Grammy Staffy said...

What good ideas. You are building traditions and making sweet memories with your darling boys.

Erin said...

I'm gonna wrap up all my Christmas books... how fun! I'm not even sure how many I have.

I love all these fun ideas! So cute!

Erin said...

I love the good deeds count up for christmas. And of course I love the paper chains that was always our favorite growing up too. What fun!!

kristen said...

Ohh Brodie and I just made a paper chain tonight for his schools Xmas tree. It's great with kids at Xmas isn't it.

Lynell said...

So cute! You are such a fun mom. I miss having paper chains around here. I think I should make one today.

Sabrina said...

FINALLY, I get around to it....HOW ARE YOU?!! I've been thinking about you alot lately. WE miss you guys. Thanks for sharing your cute ideas...so fun. See you!

Alison said...

DARLING! All of it. I like that FHE especially.

Stacey said...

I love all of these ideas!!

Your boys will have some great Christmas memories! For sure!

Grammy Staffy said...

Shannon come by and pick up an award I have for you... You deserve it. Love, Lura